Wednesday, 22 March 2017

Nippy trip to Fair Isle

Second time lucky I managed to get in to Fair Isle to retrieve a people counter that's been hopefully doing it's thing for the last year. That, a few photos of other things for a colleague and a bit of exploring.

It was sunny with a light breeze, but pretty nippy and the snow showers we saw as we flew in made me happy to know I'd brought a big flask of tea with me.


Approaching the south end of Fair Isle...




I hope these counters have survived a year on a fence. I'll see what they've got to tell me later...


An old tram way up to Ward Hill...


It goes down too!


The remains of the winch for the tram way...



Ward Hill, 217m, no danger of altitude sickness, but maybe frost bite today...


Bird life's not picked up yet, but it was nice to see the fulmars cruising the cliffs and walls. Lovely birds...

 

I wasn't too disappointed that it was a short day on the island. I'm still pretty tired from my few days sooth with bad sleep and plenty of exercise.




I'm not sure when I'll be back Fair Isle, but hopefully it won't be too long...


5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Ww2 radar on top of Ward Hill. Upper part connected to lower station by tramway for getting heavy equipment to top......Google is your friend in this!

      Delete
  2. That was exactly what I was going to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Scott. Yeh there's a number of old war time remains up there.

    ReplyDelete