Wednesday, 17 August 2016

Feels like summer...

Wow, we seem to be having another summery spell at the moment! 2 days in a row so far and forecast to stay until the weekend.

To make the most of it I've been out and about a fair bit with work and today was checking out the possibility of a new route on the west coast of Yell from Ulsta up to West Sandwick beach.

Someone had got in touch to ask about the possibility, so I thought I'd check it out. As it turns out there'd be a lot of work to make it a sensible route to promote, and that's if landowners agreed. However there are certainly some gems along the way.


Looking north towards the Ness of Sound at Setter...


I didn't have time to go across the tombolo, but I'd like to pop back sometime to explore the little isle...


Looking across to Ronas Hill from the cemetery...


Approaching the remains of the Broch of Westbrough...


And finally West Sandwick beach around 12km after I'd set off...


I'd left my bike at the beach car park to cycle back to the car at Ulsta. Not a long ride, but the wind had got up to a stiff headwind all the way back. A sneaky ice cream at Ulsta shop and I was quite refreshed after a hard day in the office!

The other day I also got out to the Bard on Bressay. A route that could easily be developed with willing land owners.

Setting off from Kirkabister lighthouse I headed south east up the hill to follow a pretty direct route along the coast to the Bard.

Looking back to the lighthouse...


My favourite area on this walk is the valley of green that appears between the heathery hills at Veng. There's a nice burn and waterfalls and it's such a lovely isolated spot.


It's not far from Veng before you get to the Bard. If you look down from near it you'll see the Giant's Leg, a massive arch that's visible from the mainland...


And next to it the WW1 gun that remains on the Bard rusting away...


 It's probably an hours walk each way from the lighthouse and a great walk to do with fantastic views.




2 comments:

  1. Would love to have done that walk - amazing views

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeh, there's no shortage of great views! Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete