Monday, 15 August 2016

Busy cycling...

I've been pretty busy cycling lately when ever the weather is decent, quite long rides, and when not cycling I've been resting. The reason being that in September I'm away for 4 days of bikepacking in the Highlands again. This time the plan is to get the train to Perth from Aberdeen and then head north into the Cairngorms via Glen Almond and Loch to Tay to Blair Athol; then via Glen Tilt to Braemar, before loosely following the Deesside Way back to Aberdeen for the ferry home. 

Roughly 280-350km with big off road sections and camping, though the actual route details may change before then as I've a few options. If the weather is too poor I might do something entirely different!

Anyway I've been doing some long road rides of 100km plus lately (60+ miles) and yesterday happened to have the motivation (and a friend who wanted to do his first) to do just over a century (105miles/170km)


And you can view it on a cool new app that links to strava (what I record my rides with on my phone) here ...  https://www.relive.cc/view/675923608

Me and Steven...


We set off from Scalloway on a misty Sunday morning, heading north...


After a quick pee stop at Voe we went up Dales Lee to Mossbank before heading west in to a reasonable head wind to Brae, our first pit-stop at the new Co-op.


I had plenty of my own supplies with me. One being a macaroni pie! Something I've avoided for years, but Da Kitchen in Yell make fantastic pies so when I saw this one from them I thought I'd give it a shot. Very nice it was, slightly warmed from being in my jersey pocket! I'm still not convinced about macaroni pies in general though.


Carrying on north we did a loop through Sullom, somewhere Steven had never been and then out to Nibon. Nibon is another place he'd not been, but one of my favourite places. It's just lovely there.


Then it was back on the main road and north to Isbister at North Roe and a quick stop at Sandvoe nearby...


Another headwind stint along Ronas Voe to Hillswick saw us with another pit-stop at the shop there...


..,Before a more direct route back to Scalloway with a tail wind along Ronas Voe and on some of the stretches home. It was a great ride, no problem for either of us fitness wise, but my friend had to purchase a small tub of vaseline at Hillswick to ease his journey home (not funny, but it was). Thankfully he could apply it himself!

It's not just me with sporting endeavours though. Beren went to Cunningsburgh Show with the Islesburgh out of school club and took part in the hill race, winning himself a medal despite doing it in wellies! Good lad!


No comments:

Post a Comment