Thursday, 16 June 2016

A swim with the Selkies

 Well, I finally took the plunge and got myself a cheap wet suit and went along to the weekly meeting of the Shetland Selkies at The Sletts Pier for an open water swim. 


I love messing about in the water, but never really just swim in the sea, so this was a chance to see how it was. And it was great. 

To be fair it took a lot of getting used to the wet suit feeling and floating in the water and legs feeling so high, so there was quite a lot of floating and not much active swimming. We worked our way slowly across from The Sletts Pier to Hole Rock and looked about at a few things. I tried swimming down to the bottom, but these suits are so buoyant! I'll definitely need a weight belt if I want to try to get scallops or anything. On our way back to the pier a seal came close to us which was really cool. To see it swimming under us was amazing; they'r so graceful and effortless in the water.


Here's a photo of our little group of Selkies at the Hole Rock...

Photo courtesy of Chris Towers

And here's a short video of the fun we had with the seal making an appearance at 2.10...


It was great fun and I can't wait to go again and do more swimming now I've got more idea of how it is in a wet suit.

4 comments:

  1. Brrrrrrilliant! Was it cold? Excellent views

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was OK with the wet suit until near the end, but we were in the sea just over an hour. Was great. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yeh, it was. Cheers. Need to keep it up!

      Delete