Sunday, 13 March 2016

Nice day for a long ride.


The day got off to a wet and grey start, but by 10am it was brightening up and looking to be a good day, so I set off for a long ride to Sumburgh Head and back via various side roads. 


Heading past the Loch of Cumlie...


A quick breather and photo opportunity before I decided whether I was up to the steep climb to the top.


 I was!


After going to to Sumburgh Lighthouse it was a whiz back to Sumburgh Hotel for some sustenance. The ride south had had a stiff headwind all the way and I was knackered. A steak baguette and chips went some way to filling the reserves...


But by the time I started off back north the wind had veered around to westerly and though that shouldn't have been a problem the voes and hills up here do nasty things with the wind, so I had another head wind pretty much the whole way home.

98km and around 5 hours after I set off I was back home. I was totally exhausted and despite the desire to do another 2km make make the day a round 100km I just couldn't face it.

I'd better man up and get used to it though as in 4 weeks I'm off for a 3 or 4 day off road bike packing trip with a friend from Kyle of Lochalsh to Inverness via a number of highland glens and The Great Glen Way. I won't be doing 100km a day, but it will be off road and carrying camping gear. I never learn :)

No comments:

Post a Comment