Friday, 1 January 2016

New Years Day wander to Symbister, East Burra

I started the New Year with a a little run. I'm on my 'third time lucky' with C25K. The first time getting back into running to get fit for my Greenland adventure saw me on the chiropractor's and physio's table for a year and meant my trip was not what I'd planned. I tried to start it again a month or so ago and was getting back ache from the second session so stopped. This third time I've just got to the second week and I'm not sure whether I'll need to stop again; for all there's no real pain I'm certainly getting aching around my SI joints. We'll see...

Anyway after that we decided to go for a little walk as it had turned out a bright and breezy start to the New Year. Beren has a chesty cough so we didn't want to aggravate that either so we went for a wander to the old settlement of Symbister on The Ness of Houss on East Burra.



We walked around the coast. There is a track a little further inland, but it very wet and not so scenic.


Looking across to Bannamin...


Clare's many polar layers created the odd challenge!


 Symbister...

 
From the adjacent burnt mound...


And the near by ayre that is teeming with terns and other bird life in the summer...


Beren found all manner of dead things and rubbish to drag around, but only succeeded in returning home with a few old sticks...


Returning to the start at Houss...


If it stays clear there's some chance of an aurora tonight. There was a good one last night, but I was snug in bed!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely overhead Aurora here in Weisdale just after the bells. Flickering searchlight beams shooting across the sky. I've not seen it like this in my time up here!! I only went out to watch next doors fireworks.
    A Happy New Year to all the Sergisons.
    Scott (Freya, James and Sandra)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott and Happy New Year! Yeh It seems I missed a cracking display. I'm no night owl and never up for the bells. Hey Ho... Hopefully see youse before too long. All the best :)

      Delete