Saturday, 16 January 2016

My own gear...



I've been wanting a MLD trailstar for a couple of years as they get such good write up as been very lightweight and storm proof shelters. Sadly having a 2-3 month waiting time from the USA and the cost and lottery of import tax  I've just never got around to ordering one. Instead I decided to order 6m of PU coated ripstop nylon from Pennine Outdoors and whip one up myself!
 


Whip it up might be a bit of an exaggeration. It took about 2 hours making and cutting the pattern and about 5 hours sewing.

It's basically made of 5 triangles. 2m long on the base and the width of the fabric high (about 160cm). Using basting tape was a god send and the crown even came together accurately...


Reinforced with 2 layers of material on the inside where the trekking pole will go...


And a cap on the outside to weather proof the crown...


 The triangles were sewed together with semi flat felled seams as a full flat felled seam seamed too daunting. Tie outs were added after hemming the whole thing...



OK I could have rolled it up a bit neater, but 725g excluding trekking poles and pegs isn't bad...


Brrrr.... it's codl and frosty today, but I pitched it in the garden to see if it would work. It did!


Trekking pole in the crown...


 A couple of other views...



Easily space for two..


And a more open pitch...


It's a windless day and forecast to stay that way over night with clear skies and down to -6c. I'd better get out camping in it then!

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your gear review tomorrow! Don't forget your hot water bottle.
    Have fun
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare talked some sense into me Scott so I had a cosy night in my bed! Good job as I'm feeling grotty enough today.

      Delete
    2. Clare talked some sense into me Scott so I had a cosy night in my bed! Good job as I'm feeling grotty enough today.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to your gear review tomorrow! Don't forget your hot water bottle.
    Have fun
    Scott

    ReplyDelete