Wednesday, 13 January 2016

An audience with an otter...


Today was a wonderfully icy clear day and I was on Papa Stour fixing a couple of stiles, removing one, putting some signs up and surveying paths. Now that's a pretty good day at the office anyway, but today was to be a bit special!

While walking along and looking at some seals and thinking there'll be no chance of seeing an otter with you guys about what did I see out the corner of my eye but an otter busy fishing out in the voe and then heading my way...


And out of the water, practically at my feet...


 I was frozen to the spot in more ways than one. I was dressed for walking, not sitting on a frozen bank side in the wind...


Even so with hands shaking and trying to control my breath so as not to disturb him I was going now where. Would you?


Just me and otter munching his dinner...


And after all that dinner you need a nap...


I was really pretty cold by then so managed to sneak away while he slept on...


And here's a little video of him. You can see how close he came and also how cold I was with the shaky footage!


It seems a bit of a let down after that to show you a few landscape of the island from today, but here you go...

Hamnavoe where I first thought I might see an otter as I've seen one there before...


And the track up to the airfield from Hamnavoe...


The standing stones near the road above West Voe...


An 'arty' sheep shot near the stones...


And looking down on Robie's Noost of West Voe where I saw the otter...


Yell tomorrow all being well. Wonder what I'll come across there...

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeh very lucky. Best one yet by far. Could only really get better if there were Cubs too.

      Delete
    2. Yeh very lucky. Best one yet by far. Could only really get better if there were Cubs too.

      Delete