Tuesday, 13 October 2015

Here and there...

Wow, what a day! It's like summer again with hardly a breath of wind. Beren, Clare and her mam were off to the pictures to see 'Inside Out'. I wasn't fussed about seeing that and paying for the privilege, especially not on such a stunning day, so I headed out on my bike for a little off road exploring.

I decided to go up to Scrae Field, a hill near Scalloway with an old wartime radio station and great views. I knew it would be challenging with a bike as I've walked up a few times, but I like a challenge and a bit of hike-a-bike is no problem. 

Bersa Hill with Foula in the far distance...


I did just over 30km with probably half off road and half on. The stretch up along the ridge to Scrae Field was mostly pushing, but I did get to ride some bits.


Scrae Field with Bressay in the distance...


The view from the old radio station...


The day before we'd had a bit of a drive out with Clare's mam with a picnic in Kergord where Beren enjoyed playing on the swing...


There was quite a variety of fungi about, but I'm not sure what...



From Kergord we had a scenic drive from Voe over 'The Alps Road' to Aith and out to Vementry. And once there a little potter around the coast.

Here's the burn that leads out from The Loch of Hostigate to the sea via an old mill. A lovely spot.


And the small harbour at Vementry...


From Vementry to the Isle of Vementry is only a short hop across a narrow bit in Uyea sound...


I've kayaked and sailed through there, but I wasn't feeling the urge to swim across today! Maybe one time with a dry bag and camping gear though...


Well I'm back at work tomorrow so I'd best get out and make the most of what's left of this gorgeous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment