Tuesday, 4 August 2015

Woodwick, Unst

I was up on Unst today and out for a walk to Woodwick just over half way up the west coast of Unst. I've not been there before, but many have asked about the access there being improved, so off I set from a parking area near Houlland to check the route out.

I wasn't expecting to meet this visitor though; Willa...


There seem to be a couple of ways there with old stiles and bits of track and sheep gaet to follow.


The ground was fairly dry, but I think it'd be a different story in the winter and spring...


I followed the higher ground there, but came back along the bottom of the valley which seemed to be the 'suggested route' judging by the old stiles and bits of board-walks over ditches; all in a pretty poor state.


A great view...


Nearly there...


And a surprise resident, Willa...


It's only just over 2km there and an easy walk, still one has to take time to eat their sarnies and enjoy the view...



 It seems that there are a few carved and painted Puffins about Unst just now. Apparently there's Aunnie at Skaw Beach and here's Cissie at Bobby's Bus Shelter...


I've since found out that there are 12 of them around Unst!

Next step is to find the land managers and hopefully get an agreement to improve what I'm sure will be a popular little walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment