Sunday, 5 July 2015

Sumburgh Lighthouse to Eshaness Lighthouse on t' bike

I got up to a foggy morning and persuaded Clare to get up and drive me down to Sumburgh Head Lighthouse. After the sportive I decided my next challenge was to ride from there to Eshaness Lighthouse. I had planned to do it with friends sometime, but despite that something in my head say no, today's the day to have a shot!

Ready for the off in fairly thick fog...


As the sign on the Sumburgh run way says 'Ahead Only' and only 101km to go...


The fog did lift at times and I got some great atmospheric views, but I couldn't keep stopping. I had a long way to go and a short time to get there...


An unexpected pleasure at the Brig O' Fitch on a quick pit stop...


I seemed to be sailing along to Brae, but then the lumps of Northmavine and Eshaness were ahead. I kept up a good pace and although I was well and truly goosed by the time I got to Eshaness lighthouse I made it! My first metric century and longest ride ever!


101km in 4 hours 59 minutes. Not bad if I do says so myself!


Though I'm not really fit to do anything else now, certainly not to help Clare with the landscape gardening she has begun...

No comments:

Post a Comment