Friday, 10 July 2015

Investigations on Bressay...

I was across on Bressay the other day checking out the legitimacy, or not, of some alleged public rights of way. I'm ashamed to admit I'd not really considered the rich past history of Bressay before now, despite visiting the visitor centre near the ferry terminal in the past.

There's a wealth of old sites and remains and my walking took me close to a few great ones.

The Standing Stone of Cruester sits on a hill not to far from the ferry over looking The Loch of The Standing Stone. What a view...


One old track lead me to a lovely out of the way beach at Sand Garth...


And another to the Kirk Yard and Mausoleum at Gunnista...



A track to Globa gave me an ace view of Aith Ness with its Guns and old herring station...


Yes I'd under valued Bressay...


The crème de la crème must be the Bressay Stone though. I followed an old track over a burn (with mills above)...


Out to the remains of St Mary's Church, which itself is built on top of an old broch...



To find not only a panel about the Bressay Stone found there...


 But the wonderfully intricately carved stone itself...


It is gorgeous!


This leaflet gives some ideas of things to see on Bressay, but there's lots more...

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to post about Bressay, Shetland. The pictures were great to view as an armchair traveler from Oklahoma, USA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I'm glad you enjoyed it. You'll maybe make I here one day, and I'll maybe make it there!

      Delete