Tuesday, 2 June 2015

The Birrier, Yell

I wrote this some time ago, but didn't publish it , but after today's investigations thought I would...

I've had a busy day out and about up on Unst checking on access improvements that had been carried out and then down on Yell looking at potential new route that a local group would like to develop and promote.(The route will not now be developed or promoted at the landmanagers wishes)

The new route would take you from West Sandwick, a very popular beach on west Yell to a headland called The Birrier.

Looking south with The Birrier on the right and The loch of Birriesgirt to the left...


At the moment the route there from where I parked my car is pretty straight forward. Follow a peat track then try to follow a sheep track until you reach the grassy headland. The route back on the coast however has a number of fences to cross at present. Still it's a walk with good potential and great views. 7.5km and probably worth giving yourself a couple of hours to soak in the scenery. If you do check it out I'd recommend just going there and back via the peat track for the time being; it'd make my life easier!


Looking over the Loch of Birriesgirt towards the Birrier with Fetherland in the far distance...


One of the many geos there...


The headland is made up of some interesting geology...


And that sloping lab is were the Culdee monastic site was. An ascetic hermit type Christian tradition. There are other such sites in Shetland, one funnily enough is probably visible from the Birrier. That is if the monks had binoculars!



What a stunning coast...


A couple of days in a tent here wouldn't go a miss!


Looking across to Fetheland where there were hermitage sites on the Kames of Isbister...


 A couple more office days and then I'm in Out Skerries for the day on Friday. That's 90 minutes ferry each way so let's hope I have such good weather!

1 comment:

  1. Ah I love Yell just as much as West Mainland. I had just short of three weeks there at Camb in 2012 Olympic Year. Hubby took the youngsters to the Olympics and I opted to come up ahead of him to Shetland instead. He arrived on the Friday of the first week after fog stopped all flights on the Thursday and he got stuck at Edinburgh. Wasn't much fun driving down to Sumburgh and back in thick fog mind, only to have to go back again the next day to pick him up. I shall look forward to trying out that walk when the stiles are up.

    ReplyDelete