Monday, 22 June 2015

Semblister Kirk Path

Semblister Kirk or Sandsting Kirk is on the edge of The Firth, South of Bixter with  old The Kirk Road leading from the road to Sand along The Loch of Semblister and to the old kirk.


The sign off the road to Sand points the way to the loch and the 'road' continues beyond...


The remains of a track can be seen but it's pretty covered over and boggy along it's length. Here passing The Loch of Semblister...


And on towards the Kirk on the shore of The Firth...



I don't know if this enclosure was once a cemetery. It's suspiciously next to the Kirk and has been a walled off enclosure though I didn't go looking in it...


The Kirk is a B listed building and dates from 1780 and has been added to since. You can see the  boat noost for it in the bottom left of this photo. Lots of people would arrive by boat in the past and many Kirks are on the shore line in Shetland.


I guess you could call this a work in progress. The altar is pretty fancy...



What a great location. I assume some lucky person has the intention of converting it to a dwelling...


8 comments:

  1. Hi Kevin, was lovely to walk with you. This old kirk was my grandfathers. So happy to see it is being cleaned up.
    Thank you, Lori Spears

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori. It's a lovely spot and I know there's planning permission in to convert it to a home.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Lori. It's a lovely spot and I know there's planning permission in to convert it to a home.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Lori. It's a lovely spot and I know there's planning permission in to convert it to a home.

      Delete
  2. Dear Lori,

    I bought the Kirk nearly forty years ago as a student and have just received planning on it. I have been looking for any old photos of it and wondered whether you might have some or any other documentation, I understood from Bertie Deyell that it was last used before the war, would that have been your grandfather's time or was he earlier? I only just missed you I was up there a couple of days before you visited it.

    All the best

    Joe Darrell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joe, my grandfather was John Bryden. He was there mid 1800's . I have no papers, sorry.
    I can send you an image of a painting of him.
    I am happy to think that someone is going to warm that place up. It would be a beautiful place to live. I have this mad idea of wanting to help you put that place to rights. Kinda handy.
    2blackpeas@gmail.com. Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you saw my reply, yes I would love to see a picture of your grandfather, was he the minister or did he own the surrounding land? I bought the Kirk off Hugh Bowie back in the 70s!

      Yours,

      Joe

      Delete
  4. My email is dudleybro@aol.com

    Joe

    ReplyDelete