Saturday, 13 June 2015

Out Skerries

I recently paid a trip to Out Skerries and, as luck would have it, it was a wonderful day. Even the 90 minutes ferry ride was flat calm.

Here's the view of the harbour from the old watch hut...



Out on Mio Ness terns were busy defending territories and I was busy trying to avoid them.


Out Skerries is a small low lying set of islands, but well worth the trip if you get weather like this...


If you don't and there's any sort of sea you'll have an interesting ride out there, especially the last run into the harbour!

I came across this old work boat...



Great colours...


One day I hope to get across to the lighthouse. I'd need some on on this isle to run me across as the only way there is by boat. And then I'd need the key to the door, if it has one, because to get to it and not be able to get up it would just be no fun!


Be warned though if you do go, there is no fancy waiting room like on Papa Stour or Fetlar and no cafe as a couple of fellow travellers found out. I usually take my car so that I've got some where to hide out if the weather decides to take a turn for the worse before the return ferry.

No comments:

Post a Comment