Sunday, 31 May 2015

We're free!

Beren is away at Beaver camp this weekend. Well when I say camp it's a camp Shetland style, they put tents up, but inside a community hall! I can actually see a lot of sense in that.

Sooo... with a reasonable forecast, and after a hearty breakfast at Fjara,  Clare an I set off for a Mr & Mrs bike ride around Burra...



Minn Beach...



And had some lunch in the shelter of the old croft museum at the road end...


It had all the makings of a great grown up only weekend...



 However...


Rather than romantic evening meal we'd hoped for it was cauliflower cheese and chips for two at A & E in Gilbert Bain Hospital! And it was free, result!

You see what I didn't mention was on our way to Burra, at a very sedate pace, my old ticker went doolallytap. Actually more like a full on drum solo with a racing heart rate of 226, nausea and a horrible throbbing pain in the left side of my neck..

It lasted for around 5 minutes before settling  down. Not wanting to ruin the ride I carried on in the interests of seeing how it went. The rest of the ride actually went fine other than feeling a bit out of sorts and my neck still aching  a bit.

Once home I deliberated a bit, phoned NHS 24  and was told to go to A&E. Thankfully after a few hours of ECG, monitoring and blood tests they sent me home. Some levels in my blood confirmed my heart had obviously been stressed with it being so high, but not damaged and the reason why remains a mystery really as heart, lungs and everything seem to be fine.

Now I have to milk it as much as manly possible as the cardiac consultant said I have to rest up for the weekend and definitely no cycling for a couple of days. Clare ...

3 comments:

  1. I do try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, what are you like! But seriously I do hope it doesn't happen again and wish you a full and speedy recovery. Cyber hugs to you and Clare...it must have given her a fright too.

    ReplyDelete