Friday, 22 May 2015

I was lucky enough to need to go to Papa Stour the other day to meet a crofter and contractor as well as check on stile, gates and the like around the isle.

To save my knee and back from the worst of tromping around the isle I took my bike for the visit. It was fun too!

Securely lashed and in no danger of exceeding the weight limit...


Ready for adventure...


I worked my way anti-clockwise around the island up to the highest point of Virda Field (87m) where I had some lunch...


The views from the top are pretty good. That'll be why there used to be a watch station up here during the war.

Looking towards the Horn O Papa...


Looking back to Sandness on the mainland...


Lyra and Fogla Skerry...


Aesha Head...


And here's a short video of the trip...


4 comments:

  1. Papa is on our list of things to do, so good to get a taste of it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a fine day to get across there. It's well worth the trip :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Kevin. Many thanks for your Papa Stour blogs. We are coming up from Edinburgh this week and the information is really useful. Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found them interesting, I have a few more about Papa Stour on here, early ones with more details. Hope you have a great trip :)

      Delete