Monday, 27 April 2015

Team Kevlar are GO!


Way back in 2006 I lost a job I loved as a teacher due to illness. After a lot of toing and froing with doctors I was eventually diagnosed with ME/CFS and ended up out of work for a number of years before gradually getting my health back and back in to work. It's been a one step forward, two steps back ward progress, but always going on and improving to some degree.  Frustrating to say the least!

Anyway on Sunday I had a bit of a milestone. I've been trying to get back in to cycling since before Christmas with the help of lots of physio on my legs, following on from physio and chiropractoring on my back last year.

This Sunday I took part in a charity duathlon with Laura,a work colleague, doing the running sections. The Jake Porter Duathlon with 2.1mile run, 13mile ride and 2.1mile run to raise money for CHAS, or Child Hospice Scotland.


It wasn't the best of days with cold strong winds, but thankfully it didn't actually hale or sleet during the race.

Here's me just on my way back to the transition zone at the end of my bike ride...


And here's us doing the last few metres to finish as Team Kevlar...


Quite an achievement for me after so long. I've ridden further since getting back into riding, but not as a race that I need to be OK for. I'm hoping to do some sportives in through the summer and keep improving, but I still need to watch myself and pace things. Not something I'm good at; last years attempt to get back running saw me with major back problems. Hopefully returning to this cycling lark will work out much better!

Anyway I thought I'd blow my trumpet (because I'm right chuffed with myself) and thank Laura for partnering me for the race and Clare and Beren for all their support and faith in me.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your looooooong journey back to good health.
    What persistence, resilience and determination you must have employed to overcome your challenges.
    You deserve to feel chuffed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoop whoop, well done you. Hope to bump into you again sometime this summer 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ellen and hope you.get fine weather for your visit :)

    ReplyDelete