Saturday, 14 February 2015

Happy Birthday Clare!

We'd both taken the day off for Clare's birthday (21 again), so after a rather yummy breakfast at the new cafe, Fjara, in Lerwick we headed north to go for a walk around The Stanes O Stofast and Lunna Ness.

Parking at Outrabister we headed off over the moors passing what I call The Bear Stone, Well if you see it from a distance, with the wind in your eyes, in the fog at the end of a long walk it kind of looks like one!

Looking over The Loch of South Stofast...

And up to the stanes...

And back to the stanes looking over Fugla Water...

The dizzy heights of The Ward of Outrabister, 90m, without oxygen!

We saw a lot of hares around The Loch of Ward.

I'd not brought my telephoto lens, so I didn't get close enough for any photos, but sadly we got close enough to this one to use my mobile...

It had a bad back leg. I doubt a white hare with bad legs will last long out here, but let's hope it does!


Looking towards the end of Lunna Ness with Yell in the far distance...

We wandered back towards Outrabister into the wind hoping to, but failing to, see otters. Plenty of seals though!

Once back at Outrabister we popped in to say 'Hi' to Frank who has Outrabister Antiques and enjoyed a cuppa with him before heading back south to collect Beren from school. But before we did we popped in to Blydoits to collect some mussels for a birthday tea and a surprise for Beren. He'd decided his New Year's resolution was to try new foods so we bought one oyster for each of us.

He looks happy here, but it didn't last!

We checked out how to shuck an oyster on youtube and then set too. Sadly these weren't little poncy clean oysters of some fancy restaurant, they were mutant monsters of the deep, the size of brick and requiring pneumatic drills to gain entry. After failing miserably with a humble knife I used to screw driver/knife combo to release them from their shells and prepared to gulp them down.

Beren went first and I think he liked it at first, but they were just enormous. Far to big for him to keep in his mouth and swallow never mind chew, but he gave it a valiant effort!


Clare faired no better than Beren and she's had them before, so it fell to me to step up to the plate (or gnarly oyster shell). Not bad, but far too big, even I struggled to chew and swallow them. It tasted fine, but I'll not be rushing to have them again...


After the fun of the oysters it was time for me to don my pinny and cook up a big pot of moules mariniere with crusty bread...

And though we were pretty stuffed after all that we did manage a slice or two of birthday cake. What a fine day!

No comments:

Post a Comment