Thursday, 22 January 2015

Night sky from Berry Hill

After seeing that the mirrie dancers were out I was energised in to putting on enough layers to look like the Michelin Man and go for a walk through soggy parks of sheep up to the trig point on Berry Hill. I'd never gone there to look at the aurora before, but it seemed like it might be a good spot and it was...

 
The only real fly in the ointment was the yellow blaze from Sullom Voe flare stack some 20 miles north, oh and the fact that after a splodge up the hill the sky was merry , but it wasn't dancing. The Milkway was out though... 
 

Looking over Scalloway Orion was rising through the cloud...


And looking back north the plough was playing hide and seek in the drifting cloud...


To say it was fresh up there would be an understatement. Despite my layers and down jacket I danced around trying to keep warm and looked in vain for a little shelter from the wind while the camera clicked away. Next time I go I think I'll take a tarp to shelter in and stay out longer. I think there was more activity from the aurora at times in the night, but unless you just wait it out for that lucky few minutes you just never know .
 
Here's a little timelapse video of the view from the hill (watch in HD)...


2 comments:

  1. woohoo!
    How truly awesome.
    It must be such a privilege to behold this incredible sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers. It certainly gets plenty of us excited enough to get out there in the cold and dark

    ReplyDelete