Friday, 27 June 2014

A ferry trip to Foula...

I'd had a longstanding meeting arranged on Foula to look at access works completed and investigate some new improvements needed, but due to issues with the fire service and insurance all flights with Direct Flight to both Foula and Out Skerries have been cancelled. Luckily B.K.Marine who run the ferry to Foula had put on some return trips, so early in the morning I set off for a 2 hour crossing to Foula.


It looked like we'd be having a good crossing which was good as the seating on board was fairly minimal.

Passing Vaila and it's tower on the way out to sea...



And on the other side, Burrastow with Foula in the distance...


I'd hope we might see some sea life other than birds (puffin, razorbill, guillemot, gannet, fulmar, shag) on the way across, but we weren't that lucky. Any way after an uneventful crossing Foula was nearly upon us...




First job of the day was a look at some refurbishment of the Ham bridge followed by some new boardwalks and gates at the north of the island, before looking at other access improvements for the future including access along the coast north from the harbour.


There were an awful lot of Bonxies about and the most aggressive I've come across for a while...


With good reason though. You need to keep your eyes open above and below at this time of the year!


Heading north to Gaada Stacks I thought I could see a lone tent on the cliff top.


And as we approached I realised it was a FaceBook friend from The Netherlands, Jan, with his Montague folding mountain bike. How weird is that?!


There were also a number of seals hauled out around the island, including some common seal pups...



Boo!


And as you'd expect plenty of sheep!


5 hours later and we boarded for another 2 hour trip back to Walls, a little rougher than on the way out, but nothing to make any of my fellow travelers ill!

Here's a short video of the crossing with a few views from the island along with a bonxie attack...





2 comments:

  1. Finally updated my computer so can view your blog AND comment! Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Good stuff PA; you'll have a bit of catching up to do. Speaking of which I need to check out yours; since I ditched twitter I don't get the notifications

      Delete