Sunday, 25 May 2014

Overnight at Sand Wick

With weather foggy, but not windy, I decided to go for a little overnighter to see how my back coped with a full pack and a night under canvas. I went to Swining Voe for a 4km walk along the steep banks to Sand Wick with the hope of a bit of otter spotting with a falling tide and wind in my face.

The head of Swining Voe...


And here's Sand Wick with the croft of Sandwick on the far hillside. It may have been a sandy bay once, but it's pretty stoney now!


Despite the lack of otters there were plenty of birds about and a pole cat (see the video below) and some flowers were out too.

Lousewort and sundew...


Primrose...


Moss...


On the way to Sand Wick I passed this deep cut gorge with a lovely waterfall in it...


And the Burn of Sand Wick that I camped near was very pretty too...


Here's a video of my walk there and a look around the bay and the old houses of Sandwick. Hope you find it interesting...



No comments:

Post a Comment