Sunday, 18 May 2014

A walk over Ronas Hill to Da Lang Ayre

It's around 2.5 months since my back decided to put pay to much activity. Many weeks of chiropractor plus my own stretching and mobility exercises are finally paying off with my lumbar vertebrae and S.I. joint getting their act together. I decided to go for a slow plod up Ronas Hill and if all went well continue over to Da Lang Ayre, somewhere I've not actually been down on to since January 2012.


The route was about 14km and took 6 hours going slow with plenty of stops and time taking video and photos.The climb from Collar Firth Masts up to Ronas Hill isn't too much, but going down to Da Lang Ayre means you've got to come all the way back over the top. It's a stiff climb, but not too bad if you take it steady.


Looking back to the start from Mid Field...


 And up to a cloudy Ronas Hill...


It was cold and windy a the top and a little cloudy too...


From the top you head north west to the Burn of Monius. There are great views of Ronas Voe, particularly when it's not cloudy!


The head of the Burn of Monius...



The last stretch to the beach is helped by a convenient rope that some kind soul has put there...


The rope isn't essential, but it is a big help and security blanket...


 Once on the beach I relaxed for a bit with an 'all day breakfast' my Mam had bought me for Greenland. I promised I'd enjoy it on some other trip as these Meals Ready to Eat's are too heavy for taking out there to eat. What was it like? OK, basically beans and sausage with some scrambled egg. Just as easy to empty a tin in to a zip lock bag I reckon.


 The tide was going out, but still pretty high so I didn't get right along the 1 mile of red granite gravel and sand.



 I saw a few critters while out and about including the rare sight of a human near Mid Field! These are not so rare...


Golden Plover...


Dunlin...


Wheatear...


Arctic Skua. I saw a couple of pairs of these and lots of pairs of Great Skua.


And there were lots of mountain hares about, particularly on the sheltered northern slopes of Ronas Hill on the way back. 




Lots of dog violets were in flower...


Club Mosses too...


And trailing azaleas (only found on Ronas Hill in Shetland)...


 With low cloud much of the time the views weren't as clear as they can be, but they're still pretty great.

The northern slopes of Ronas Hill and Mid Field that I contoured along on the way back to save my little legs...


 Looking into the valley of the Burn of Black Button with Fethaland in the distance...


All in all it was a great days walk. With the easy pace my back didn't suffer too much, though after all this time with little exercise my legs are feeling it afterwards.

And to finish off with here's a video of the walk to Da Lang Ayre via the summits and with a few clips of mountain hares and the arctic skua...

No comments:

Post a Comment