Friday, 14 March 2014

Out and about of late...

Time for a bit of a catch up! I have been out and about when the weather has been fit lately, but it's been a challenge. Having said that the last two days have been great; pity it's spoilt itself for tonight's South Mainland Up Hella Aa though.

Here's a few photographs I took last week out on The Ness of Setter which is just south of Gulberwick. It was a very windy day and I just managed to get back to the car before the rain hit.

This is the view looking back to Gulberwick from the ness...



And looking out across Gulber Wick and Trebister Ness to Bressay in the distance...


Looking south from the end of the ness over Fea Geo towards Moo Stacks, not as impressive as the Eshaness stacks of the same name, but pretty non-the-less...


On another fine day I was down at Leebitten near Sandwick where there is a problem with coastal erosion leaving the path with a big hole in it, not that these were bothered. All they wanted to do was relax on the pier in the bit of sun there was...



Up on Yell this week I unexpectedly happened across a big dog otter, but never managed to get any photos of him as his slinked off down the cliffs into the sea. However I did see this Glaucous Gull at a distance...


Fulmar's were all paired up...


And there were plenty of groups of shags too looking very bonny in the sunlight...


Last weekend I even saw my first puffin of the year, though sadly it was dead at the road side on Burra. I did see my first guillemot of the year too happily paddling on the sea.

Bringing you up to date I was down at Maywick yesterday to check out some work we're getting done on an access route there. It heads north from Maywick up the cliffs and over a couple of deep valleys (one appropriately named Deepdale) and on towards the high point of the Clift Hills at Royal Field, if you wanted to go that far.

Here's a view looking down on the lovely beach at Maywick...


And looking up the valley of Deepdale; there are some lovely waterfalls here, but the valley sides are very steep so if you go there be careful...



Other than the wonderful dry afternoon the other treat of my walk was my first close sighting in a while of mountain hares, still with some white winter coat. They really didn't need their winter best this year!












I think they might rival otters for cuteness and they're no easier to get close to than otters either!

From this stretch of coast you get some great views north of South Havra and Burra too...



I have been a few other places in the line of duty, but nowhere of note, or in good enough weather to get my beloved camera out. Sadly with gales and rain returned it's not looking too promising for this weekend though Beren has another meeting of the Shetland RSPB Wildlife Explorers on Sunday at Voxter so I hope it atleast clears up a bit for then...

No comments:

Post a Comment