Saturday, 1 March 2014

Mirrie Dancers Super Show 27th February 2014

Wow what a night! I heard that there was a CME (Coronal Mass Ejection) due to hit early morning on the 27th February. Would we see the northern lights or not?

Around tea time it was drizzly, but then around 7pm it started to clear up so I headed out intending just to have a quick look to see if we might get a good show of the mirrie dancers. A 3 or 4 hours later I returned home, frozen and with a stiff neck after watching a fantastic show of the northern lights, for once the cameras just can't do the 360 degree show justice. An enormous arch spanned the heavens of moving pulsing colours rays and swirls. Most people I've heard said it was the best show they'd ever seen and it was certainly the best I've ever seen.

I started off at the Burradale wind-farm thinking I could get them behind blurred turbine blades, but forgot to figure in the length of the exposure with the fast moving blades, which rendered them invisible, though I still got great views and some nice photos up there.





Looking over Dales Voe...


 Determined to go home to stop my shivering I thought I'd just run past Tingwall Kirk. People were out everywhere looking at the sky on the roadsides. My stop at the Kirk was longer than planned, but it was well worth the stop!

 

Directly over head was a swirling pulsing vortex. Amazing...


Here's a time-lapse video of some of my night. I might re-do it when I have the energy as I have some ideas for improvement, but still I think it's a pretty nice record of some of the night.

2 comments: