Friday, 28 March 2014

Day 1 of our Grand Tour of the Highlands

After a good ferry crossing last night we got on our way, the scenic way, to Inverness. The A93 and A939 on our way to Inverness along with a few side roads too that took our fancy.

I've got to say it was great to be back in a land of trees, forests and rivers and the beautiful day was very nice too.

Speeding along a tree lined road with the Dee showing through the deliberate blur of trees...



We thought we'd drop in for tea with Queenie at Balmoral, but she hadn't done her hair yet so we just had a look at some lovely bridges over the nearby Dee.

I don't know the name of this suspension bridge...





But I do know that this is Clare sporting Shetland's finest...



The road bridge at Crathie, just outside Balmoral...



A smile on my face despite the agony that had returned via my back after a night on the ferry...



The Bridge of Dava...



We'd come over the Lecht pass hoping to see some snow, but other than the odd spot it was all gone leaving the ski lifts and centre looking pretty grim. Still in the distance on the high Cairngorm plateu we could see plenty of snow still. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. I want to go up Cairngorm and around the northern corries next week so no snow would be a help, but some snow would be nice for photos. Anyway it may all be academic if my back doesn't sort itself out!

Finally we arrived in Inverness. A pretty lovely spot despite the road works and flood defense works going on. We're here for 1 night before we pick up our boat from Caley Cruisers tomorrow for a week on the Caledonian Canal from Inverness to Fort William and back. I've got my fishing gear so we catch us a Nessie!

The Creig Street Bridge...


The road bridge near our hotel...


And a few photos of Ness Walk at night. It's covered in pretty coloured lights and lit up trees. Lovely...




I'm not sure when I'll be able to update next, but update I will. Watch this space...

2 comments:

  1. Hope you have a fab holiday and Claire's Fair Isle is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete