Wednesday, 5 March 2014

Chilling at Cul Houb

After a first sail on the 1st of March I went for a lazy overnight camp at Cul Houb, a tidal pool, off Swining Voe near Vidlin. Here's me ready for the off...


A short walk over the peaty hills found me pitched up on the driest bit of ground I could find...


I was hoping to see otters here and I did find some very fresh spraint...


And soon I did see some otters, but I had the wrong lens on my camera to take photos of them! By the time I'd changed lenses was ready to take a photo they'd moved off somewhere else.

Still it was a beautiful day, if not bitterly cold in the wind. Here's the ayre that separates the houb from Swining Voe...


And the sheltered back of the Houb...


Wonderful...


The evening was very cold with a gusty wind, but it was nice to see the stars out...


Although the glow of Sullom Voe terminal is a real pain, there was still a very faint auroral glow on the horizon...




I got pretty cold in the night and I could hear blasts of wind heading down the voe to be followed by showers of rain, but the tent stood up to it without any problems.

Here's a short video of my lazy afternoon and evening...


4 comments:

  1. I had to google 'spraint' - they have their very own name for their poo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops sorry, yes they do. Isn't google great?!

      Delete
  2. Love the speeded up bit of you setting up your tent Kevin, first video I have manged to see properly so will have to catch up on the others now :)
    Kareen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Kareen. I thought it was your connection stopping you watch videos, but presumably it was your computer. Look forward to some more from yourself :)

      Delete