Wednesday, 25 December 2013

Njugal's Water and The Hill of Steinswall

On Christmas Eve with gales battering the coast I decided to go for a walk on the local hill swhile I could; the forecast was just for worse wind and rain.

As you can from this footage by Hugh Harrop of Shetland Wildlife it was pretty wild down at Sumburgh Airport, what a pilot!


I headed out from the house for a couple of hours walk (8km) up the Hill of Steinswall that skirts the Tingwall Valley and around Njugal's Water.

Looking down to Scalloway...


It's a stiff climb to the hill line, but once there the views are great. Looking over Njugal's Water towards the Burradale turbines...


And down over Asta and Tingwall Lochs...



At the top of The Hill of Steinswall is a cross. It seems there's some confusion about it's purpose; to mark a plane crash, as a protest about the old Tingwall Foy (pressumably with drunken revelry?), or just as a folly? Anyway to me with the turbines in the background it said R.I.P. Hills of Shetland because once the turbines come there will be 80km of roads over the hills and peat bogs, 103 massive turbines and all that  is associated with it and it's construction across the main hill top ridges of Central Shetland.


I walked past the turbines (this handful I quite like) and down through peat bog to Njugal's Water where the wind was ripping across it's surface sending waves and spray flying even in this relatively sheltered location.


Here's a short video of my walk (watch in HD). it was lovely but very windy!


And now it is Christmas morning. Beren is busy building lego, I've got my new Ali Farka Toure with Ry Cooder album on and the wind is howling and the rain lashing. The police were called out to rescue a washed up seal pup at Tescos last night and I'd guess most people are tucked away either in bed or in their homes and thoughts go out to those that aren't.

Photo courtesy of Shetland News


Have a very Merry Christmas everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Some lovely images. I saw the Hugh Harrap video on the BBC news website. It's good to see that these old boots of yours are still serviceable!!! Merry Christmas to you and your family. John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers and all the best to you and yours too!

      Delete