Thursday, 28 November 2013

Viking Unst...


Up on Unst I stopped as I passed the Viking long boat and Long House reconstructions at Haroldswick. The long house roof was looking good with it's hair-net hardly visible now, unfortunately it was all nailed shut for the winter, hopefully next summer I'll get a look inside...





Near to Belmont I noticed a new signpost for a Viking Longhouse near a path I was going to look at and at the site was a shiny new information panel...


I only had a quick look about and I failed to see any of the cup marked stones that are supposed to be there. It'll be interesting to see what has been found here...


Between the ferry terminal and the new signpost to the Viking Longhouse is a track that goes up around the quarry the terminal sits in. Access Route ARU03 runs along the coast from here around 5.5km to Uyeasound. It's a steady walk, a bit wet in parts, but no hills and great views.

Approaching the Holm of Heogland with Fetlar in the distance across the sea...



The Ayre of Heogland and Gerda Baa lead out to the island...


As the tide was out I took the opportunity to go out on to the holm. Looking back to the mainland of Unst...


And looking across to Fetlar from The Kirn...


The holm is around half way to Uyeasound with more easy walking along the coast. I hoped I might see an otter, but not today. I did see plenty of seals and a couple of herons though. 

Uyeasound in the distance...


And the beacon...


Having looked in to a few issues all that was left was to walk back again to the car at Belmont as the sun sank ever lower on what was a lovely day up north.


No comments:

Post a Comment