Saturday, 26 October 2013

Life's a beach...

I spent an hour and a half sat in the cold wet ebb stones the other morning watching and photographing a group of grey seals at a spot I like on Burra. I got a bit cold, but it was worth watching the young seals rolling in the gentle waves, coming on and off the shore and the big bull seal having a bit of a tussle with one of his hareem.


I approached slowly and carefully over the rocks, was seen eventually , but my presence was put up with. The watched me now and then and then got on with there own thing with out any obvious concern...



Mr and Mrs keeping an eye on me from the sea...


Here's a video I made of them, lounging around, rolling in the waves and sleeping in the sea (bottling). Apologies for the shakiness, I was shivering a bit! From 7:05 there is a bit where Mr and Mrs Seal get into a bit of a tussle, I was thinking I might see it lead to more and a XXX video rating!

              

It was wonderful watching them so closely, but next time I'll wear some thermals!

2 comments:

  1. Loved the video...have just watched it via Facebook. Will have to show my daughter's boyfriend. He was hoping to see some close up when they joined us in the summer but we only manged to find some for him at Sumburgh head and a couple in the harbour area around Lerwick. Of course the second week of our hols we saw plenty and they had gone home....such is life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it Ellen. I t was great to watch them.

    ReplyDelete