Monday, 14 October 2013

A misty Hermaness

As I headed north to Unst the first sight I came across as I waited for the ferry at Toft was a line of Black Legged Kittiwakes queuing up along the jetty. I had hoped for otters, but these were very  nice too...


Up on Hermaness NNR it was very wet and foggy. The board walks that SNH put in were useful in the wet conditions, but god what an eyesore with a mix of timber old black 'plastic wood' and more modern plastic 'timber' decking boards. They actually gave me a head ache with a strobe effect as I walked out over them. The piles of plastic wood deck boards along the path that seem to have lived there for years don't improve the view either. I know they need to do something with the visitor numbers and peat bog but...

Still once at the coast the path reverted to natural as I headed north. Very natural in parts, so I was glad of my new boots; Lowa Mountain Boots which I highly recommend.

As I approached Muckle Flugga the fog was thick and the drizzle a bit grim, but it lifted long enough for a quick snap before I headed up Hermaness Hill...


At the top of the hill is the remains of a watch tower; a precursor to the Saxa Vord emplacement on the opposite hill? (An anonymous commentator said it was a signal station for Muckle Flugga)


The route back to the car-park from here takes you over blanket bog with sections of old wooden board walk interspersed with bog to wind your way around and over and great view of Saxa Vord across Burra Firth...



The summer is the time to come here for the wide range of breeding birds on the cliffs including the very welcoming puffins and not so welcoming bonxies. At this time of the year there were still plenty of gannets about and of course the fantastic scenery is great to walk in all year round, atleast when the fog lifts!

1 comment:

  1. The old building on Hermaness Hill was the old signal station for Muckle Flugga.

    ReplyDelete