Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Mega macro

I've been really enjoying experimenting with close up photography on the cheap lately, something to keep me busy in the winter if nothing else.  I say on the cheap as dedicated macro lenses start at around £500 and go up!

My version includes cheap close up filters and extension tubes on my 70-300mm zoom, though I have just got a male to male coupling ring to stack my kit lens backwards on front of the telephoto to create a beast with something like 6:1 useable magnification. For lighting I've just got two desk lamps as I haven't any speedlights. And to help the lighting the 'subject' is in a white ceramic bowl with white paper around it; very rough and ready, but it's allowing me to play.

Here's a spider I found in the bath last night. Possibly amaurobius fenestralis or lace web/window spider. He might be off on a trip south for proper identification though as some one thinks he might be amaurobius ferox which has never been recorded north of Inverness. Time will tell...


I started looking at spiders because of the national house spider survey that anyone can join in. Good fun!


The males are out and about at this time of the year looking for love. Sadly this one won't be finding it...


While stretching the other night I also found this dead wasp on the bedroom floor. I'm glad I didn't sit on it as it's stinger was out and ready...




With the stacked lenses I can get real close...


The three simple eyes on the top of the wasps head, normal ones at the sides...


One of it's 'big' eyes...


Wing detail...


And finally the stinger...ouch!


It's fascinating to see insects close up, they're amazing and a bit freaky, but really hard to identify usually!

I'll resist posting anymore spiders for a while as I know some of my friends run screaming at the sight of them even on the screen. You might even get a few landscapes...


2 comments:

  1. Wow, how impressive and I love the close up of the wasp wing. Macro photography brings up some amazing patterns and textures that can be inspiring for arts and crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I was thinking that when you get in so close there could be some good abstract images

    ReplyDelete