Sunday, 1 September 2013

A few critters from here and there...

I was up in Yell the other day and managed to get my first decent shot of a curlew near the marina at Cullivoe...


And another first capture; a Shetland wren at West Sandwick on Yell. Beautiful little birds...


I found a sad looking buff tailed bumble bee on the pavement yesterday. I don't know if it's just the time of year or the heavy rain and windy that had wiped it out, but I brought it in to take a few photos of it which warmed it some what under the lights and then set it back out in a sheltered spot with a but of syrup to see if it would revive it, though I think it's doomed really.





I've also been taking part in the national house spider survey for a bit of fun...


We keep getting theses spiders in the house at the moment which I believe are amaurobius fenestralis or lace web spiders. Tricky little things to photograph, but fascinating close up.


I didn't realise, but the reason you get lots of spiders in the house at this time of the year is that they are all males looking for love. It's nothing to do with coming in for shelter, they're just cruising and looking for romance. Though being spiders the romance is pretty short lived before they are eaten, and the mummy spider gets her comeuppance as the young, when they hatch and have eaten their egg sacks, usually eat her!


While I was at it I took a couple of close ups of some other bits and bobs. Here's a puffin skull...


And also a soft coral that often washes up, deadman's fingers I believe..


 As the weather is just awful outside I may find a few more hidden gems to look at!





No comments:

Post a Comment