Wednesday, 11 September 2013

A day trip to Fair Isle

It always seems a day trip to Fair Isle is fraught with uncertainty as to whether the plane will go, and if it does whether it'll bring you back on the same day. This trip was no exception, so we sat for a while in the waiting room at Tingwall while they checked and re-checked the forecasts before declaring that we 'should' be able to get back no problem.

I arrived in Fair Isle to a beautiful day, t-shirt weather in September up here is a rare pleasure...


There are a couple of these turbines that some what dominate the expansive view at times in the south of the island. Behind in the distance is Malcolm Head and the South Lighthouse...


South Harbour with the lighthouse and head again in the distance...


There's a great little stack and arch in the South Harbour, I'm sure it has a local name, but I've not come across it yet. Makes a lovely picture anyway...


And again near the South Harbour is the Old Haa; looking lovely with it's traditional hay stacks and tattie riggs...


 I've not managed to get up Malcolm's Head before due to the fog, but I did see a structure of some sort on the top in clearer spells. Today I went up there eager to see what  sort of tower was there only to be sorely disappointed. One thing that didn't disappoint from up there though was the view. Simply stunning...


Looking north from Malcolm's Head across and amazing bay of geos and stacks with Ward Hill, the highest point, in the cloud...



Looking down South Haaversgill with Ward Hill in the cloud again. Having some spare time I went out onto the long spur of Burrista along a narrow rocky ridge mobbed by fulmar soaring on the slope edges...


Here's the view on the East side of the island looking north from Sheep Rock to the Bird Obs. As I walked in this area the bonxies were oddly aggressive for this time of the year and there was some many of them. My arms were aching with waving by the time I got across the moor.


And here is Sheep Rock... 


I was admiring the view and wondering if it was at all possible to get across and on to it in any way that didn't require some serious rock climbing when I turned around to find a thick fog racing across the island! 2 hours until my plane and I couldn't see 100 yards! There was a slim chance of a bed at the Obs if I got stuck, otherwise it would be a cold night in the air field waiting room. Luckily an hour before the plane was due the fog lifted as quickly as it had come in and we got away OK. It was a great day but I could have done with out that last minute excitement!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! you really got a round... and the fog cleared so you could get home. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. yeh you nearly jinxed us with the return flight! I assume you got on the next flight so that's good.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the photos of Fair Isle I've never been and I saw a mutual friend commenting on the photos so had a look. It was great to know the place a little. I was invited there by a friend but have never got to visit so far. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Next time you get the offer to go, it's a great place.

      Delete