Friday, 23 August 2013

Wester Wick and The Nev

The coast around Westerwick and Silwick is one of my favourite stretches in Shetland. A few years ago I kayaked and explored some of it's hidden gems, something I hope to do again, but the other day I was on top of the cliffs along a short route that leads from Westerwick to a headland called The Nev. 

Looking south-east across Wester Wick...


I find the stacks, ridges and little coves on this bit of coast fantastic. Some of the coves you can get down to if you've very careful and possibly a bit daft too.


The Nev is the high cliff in the centre of this photo with Giltarump being the holm just off it. A deep geo runs inland that you can get down into if you wanted to...


Giltarump...


Looking back south-east across Wester Wick...


 Looking north-west past Groni stack along the Culswick coast and towards The Broch of Culswick...


Everyone knows about the impressive the cliffs of Eshaness, but to me these trump them.

I was also in the south end recently and passed this happy gathering on the roadside near Quendale. I put a smile on my face...


As did the impressive waves in the Bay of Quendale...




I should get out some time just to look for good waves, they're amazing to watch and the power of the big dumping ones is something else!

No comments:

Post a Comment