Sunday, 18 August 2013

She sells sea shells...

I guess most people collect shells when they're out and about around the coast and we're no exception. Some time back I came across the remains of a a large hermit crab in a large whelk shell; I call him Boris...


I'm still fascinated by him. The way his legs are molded to his home and wondering how much bigger he could have got. Looking closer I noticed his impressive claws in detail withthe fine whiskers that fringe his claws. I've never noticed that before; I wonder if all crabs have this...


There's a rather special shell that we get in Shetland, know locally as a grotty buckie; tiny arctic cowries. They're very pretty and very small. Some beaches are better for them than others, but even on a good beach finding them takes some effort. We've got a small pile of them that we've collected, though I have met someone with a big glass sphere full of them. It took them 30 years to get that many, so we might get there yet!


Grotty buckies looking a bit grotty, they're not easy to get sparkling clean...


I think these are grey tops shells, another favourite and much more common than the grotty buckies...


And I think these are some type of Rissoa shell, they're really tiny...



No comments:

Post a Comment