Saturday, 10 August 2013

Our first moth trap!

Beren and I built a Skinner type moth trap yesterday, though not having a MV lamp we just used the guts of a Fireman Sam bedside lamp! Not as bright or with the ideal wave lengths of light, but for a first try it was worth it...


As luck would have it it is actually Moth Night from 8th until 10th August so we might be able to add some records to the survey, the most northerly one's in the UK.

In the morning we had 7 moths(4 species, though one little white one escaped), a crane fly and a caddis fly.

I'm not sure what species of caddis fly it is, but I do know it is one...


After consulting with a few places on Facebook I soon found out that moth identification is a bit tricky, especially as there are several thousand species. UK moths is good if you have some idea what you're looking at, but I've ordered a guide to UK moths which should help in future.

This is a Beautiful Golden Y...


And this is either a Nutmeg or a Spectacle. UK Moths on Facebook say Nutmeg, others on Facebook say Spectacle. I'm feeling Nutmeg. I need to take some better and more specific photos for id...


Another uncertainty is this Small Square Spot or Double Square Spot? Turns out that it's an Ingrailed Clay!


Thanks to all those who have helped with id, I'm sure my photos haven't helped! The midgies were biting and they were taken with a handheld telephoto; next time I'll use the tripod and may be invest in some extension tubes too.

Excited to see what turns up tonight if the weather is fine...

... And things seemed to be going well when we went to bed, though there was a cat lurking in the garden. When I got up in the morning the moth trap had been knocked over and all it's bit had come apart; I can only assumed it was the cat.

Anyway there were two new species and only 3 moths in total in the wreckage.

An Antler Moth...




A Large Yellow Underwing...











No comments:

Post a Comment