Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Getting my hands dirty

I went out today to fix a rotten stile that had been reported. Being in an out the way location and only needing a step board replacing it seemed a waste to go through the hassle of contracts so off I set in my little Yaris. Soon I was wishing it was a 4x4 or quad though, so it was on shanks's pony from here on...


Me and my friend Woody on our way to meet his stile-ish mates near Royal Field...


After crossing a few bogs we were soon there...


All ready to go. Thankfully no one up here uses ring-nails or it would have been a pain to get the old nails out...


And all done. Woody seemed to fit in nicely with his new friends... 


I even managed to get back to the road with out getting stuck or leaving any car parts behind...


Later I was out at Burwick Ness, a lovely spot over the hill from Scalloway with views of the 'Scalloway Ilses'...


This used to be a fishing station and after speaking to the landowner I found out that there's a link with home. Jack Lammiman, a salty sea dog from Whitby of some notoriety stayed here from time to time with the Helga Maria and even took stones from here to build a memorial  to  another local boy and arctic explorer, William Scoresby, when doing the north-west passage.

The Helga Maria complete with crow's nest and pirate flag...



He may even have stayed here...


Give it a sweep out and I'd live there!


No comments:

Post a Comment