Friday, 16 August 2013

Experiments with macro...

A friend and colleague got me interesting in trapping moths recently and after seeing how lovely they can be close up I bought myself some cheap extension tubes to use with my 70-300mm telephoto. It seems best used just at 70mm with the tubes, though oddly using the 70mm end of my 18-70mm lens is a failure. Some quirk of the particular optics I asssume. I've also got a few cheap close up filters which add quite a bit of magnification. It's going to be a long learning process, but some of my early attempts seem to have come out quite well.

Here's a blue bottle I snapped while out the other day...


And some close ups of arctic cowries or grottie buckies as they are called up here. I should have cleaned them first as they do look pretty grotty...



Last night I put out the Fireman Sam lamp powered moth trap again and got a new bounty. I put them in the fridge through the day to calm them down so I might have an easier time photographing them before releasing them this evening.

Here'a crane fly I caught...


And this is a Beautiful Golden Y. I think it's lovely with a bat like nose...



Here's a Udea Lutealis, or so I'm told...


And this tiny beast is probably Blastobasis Adustella...



These two remain a mystery for the time being...






No comments:

Post a Comment