Tuesday, 4 June 2013

The Shumla Stane, Walls

It was a foggy evening when I went out west to investigate The Shumla Stane off the A971 near Walls. I was told about it some time ago; a stone that lies on an old cross  country route to Sandness worn with the sitting of weary travelers.

Here's an O.S. map from 1882 that shows the old route south east to north west passing Burga Water with the Shumla Stane marked...


There's no obvious sign of the track on the ground now, atleast not in that location, but there may be elsewhere. If you want to look at old maps of Scotland check out the Scottish National Library, a fantastic free resource.

Looking down on Burga Water from the A971. There's an old dun near the right end of the loch, something else I wanted to check out...


The dun to the left of the photo. There was plenty of bird life on it and the other islands in the loch...


Just round the far side of the loch and up the hill is the Shumla Stane. I've got to say I was a bit underwhelmed. I thought it was a bum worn stone, but it was still pretty rough with a small slanty ledge as a seat and the rest of the rock forming a back rest. Interesting, odd, but not showing obvious signs of centuries of use to my eyes. I've not found any other information on it, the dun or the old way over the hills, but it is lovely down there.


I carried on around Burga Water to it's northern end before carrying on round and back up to the road. Here's the view looking south...



Just before I headed up to the car I came across the remains of a cairn. Nothing very obvious to note, but there are a few of these in the area so there was obviously a fair bit of activity around here in the distant past.



2 comments:

  1. Love these photos Kevin, and you certainly got me reaching for the map over this one! Despite having lived at Walls last year, I'd never heard of the Shumla Stone. Going to have to go for a look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Graham. I'm sure most people haven't heard of the stone but it's easy to find. It is a lovely little world down there too. Check out those old maps, there are some interesting old routes and I'm sure there are more treasures to find along them...

      Delete