Tuesday, 7 May 2013

Royl Field, the Clift Hills

Wow, what a stunning day it's been and a great day to be up on the hills. Parking on the old road above Hoswick I was off on the path that leads to The Mosquito Memorial over on the far side of Royl Field on the Clift Hills. It starts off along a peat road but quickly becomes rough moor and peat...


Atleast the sheep haven't rubbed all the posts out. It's that-a-way...


Looking south towards Sumburgh...


Looks like some work needed, though if you got this far I reckon this fence wouldn't defeat you...


The route goes across the valley of The Burn of Greystane, boggy in places and just sheep gaets to follow if you're lucky between the waymark posts which lead up to Royl Field...


A nice treat was the sighting of several hares that were blending in better that most I've seen lately...



The summit of Royl Field at 293m it's the second highest point on mainland Shetland; Burra in the background...


The view down to South Havra...


South Havra and Burra...


Looking down to Fitful Head...


From Fitful to Burra...


 Down the banks from the summit is a memorial to the crew of a Mosquito that crashed in World War II.


There are a number of pieces about, some more obvious than others. The link above has lots of information on the mission.

Landing gear...



And engines...



 As well as the hares there were a number of paired up Bonxies, though they were shy rather than aggressive so I didn't manage any decent photos. I did get some of a few dunlins that were in and around the small lochans on the hill tops...


I walked back a different route, avoiding the boggy valley bottom and taking in a couple more tops. Here's the top of Hamari Field (278m)


Looking past the summit of The Ward of Veester (257m) towards Sumburgh...


By the time I got back to the car I was pretty tired, 10km over rough and soft ground and it was warm enough for there to be a heat haze, also warm enough for me to burn my head!

I'm off to Fair Isle on Thursday, weather permitting, so that should be fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment