Friday, 10 May 2013

First trip to Fair Isle

When I got up in the morning there was a heavy fog so I thought my chances of a flight to Fair Isle were doomed, but after a few delays we were off south into an ever brightening day. 

What with my late departure and the flight back and an unexpected situation I didn't have the time to get the work done I'd to or to explore and see the new influx of birds, but I did have a stunning few hours on the island auditing some paths and will need to return to do more.

Thanks to the staff from the Fair Isle Bird Observatory that met me and gave me a whistle stop tour. It looks like a fantastic facility there and one I'll be back too.

Here's a video of the flight there and back. I doubt I'll be a so lucky next time I go!




It was quite a rush and I nearly forgot to have dinner in my panic to get on with work and get round the island! Sorry it's not so informative as my usual posts and I've no photos of the birds I saw which included both arctic and great skuas amongst many others, but it hopefully gives a flavour of some of the south end of the island that I visited.

The view of North and south Haven from the Bird Observatory with the Good Sheperd just arrived...


One of the many bird traps that can be seen along walls, in hollows and generally all over the place...


Looking towards Vaasetter...


The Bight of South Haven...


Below is a selection of the styles of stiles that are going to give me a head ache. They're all supposed to conform to a British Standard and we have our corporate version of that; occasionally they come close, but mostly they don't on the core paths. Sorting the ones out that are my responsibility from the hundreds that aren't is going to be fun, never mind rectifying them!








Back to some landscapes on the South West coast...




Looking South East towards Malcolm's Head...


Malcolm's head to the left...


Hunds Heelor?


Reeva Geo...


A big collapse I don't know the name of near Malcolm's Head...


The South Lighthouse...


The Methodist Chapel with Museum behind...


And some photos from the wonderful return flight...

Foula with a cap of cloud...


Fitful Head...


St Ninian's Isle...


East and West Burra with Royl Field (where I was the other day) to the right below...


Bannamin and Minn beaches on West Burra...


Scalloway and the Trondra Brig...


The Burradale Windfarm...


Today the cloud is in again (but may be it'll clear like yesterday) and I'm off to the opposite end of the Shetland Isles, Unst, with a colleague to scope out some circular walks to promote. Bye for now...

2 comments:

  1. Love the film and photos. What an amazing job you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am lucky with my job, especially on days like this, but it certainly does have it's challenges too :o)

      Delete