Tuesday, 21 May 2013

Eggses and Chickses...

There's reports of more and more birds arriving all the time and there were a couple of common dolphins I missed in Scalloway yesterday, but today I had a treat when out around No Ness and came across some ravens guarding a nest with what I think was 4 fledglings in it...



 And not far away a great black backed gull was sat on it's eggs while the other one kept guard...


I didn't realise gulls had such a big gap straight through their beak...


There were plenty of other birds nesting on the cliffs too; guillemot, fulmar, kittwake, razorbills and I saw some puffins out on the sea and even found a puffin head for Beren's bone collection! I also found a joint crack in the cliff side that leads down through the cliffs like a miniature Sneck I Da Smallie; that's one to investigate another day and a new spot for otter watching.

Talking of eggs we got 4 new hens a couple of weeks ago and have just had our first eggs. Well the first one we didn't have as after carefully carrying it into the house Beren decided to try to take his wellies off while holding it and splat, he dropped it! The other one looks fine and I'm sure it will be as tasty as the dropped one looked.

We've not been up to much over the weekend as Beren has chicken pox. We did get out for a quick breath of air to explore a couple of small derelict plantations in the Tingwall area to see if there was anything of interest in them. Sadly there wasn't, but we did find a nice low bit of coast to explore nearby with some yummy looking mussel beds.  I also took Earl for a nice walk up on The Hill of Easter Houll above Scalloway. We had a good run on a sheep free bit of hill and a great view down over Scalloway...





No comments:

Post a Comment