Friday, 19 April 2013

Out and about on Burra...

It's been another spell of mixed weather, but there's still the chance to get out and about, especially with the lighter nights. I recently had some walks on West Burra, I love Burra, especially its' western coast. Here's the view over Whale Wick to the Hill of Sandwick...


And over the hill is Sand Wick, one of my favourite places to go and watch the seals that haul out there...



They even wave at you!


The cliffs are great for watching the ravens too...


Which seem to be spending most of their time acrobatically chasing the gulls ...



 And generally being pretty rowdy...


There were plenty of other birds about with the noisy oyster catchers in full swing again...


Ringed plovers...


Turnstones...


And loads of other birds including my first bonxie and swallow of the year, but my best sighting was an otter near Bridge End that I watched for a while before it disappeared into it's holt...




And last but not least, over half a dozen mountain hares that I can never get close too...









6 comments:

  1. I want to go to Burra and see the seals and otters and birds too!
    Aren't the seals and Turnstones beautifully camouflaged?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'd like to see some of the fantastic wildlife in Australia too :o) Did see kangaroos, koala, emu, fruit bats, lots of bonny birds and held an echinda; no nasty biting stinging stuff though.Lots of great places all over eh!Bit hot for me out there though.

    I have walked past seals before with out noticing until they move. The poor hares winter coast haven't done them any favours this year with the lack of snow, but luckily for them thee aren't really any preditors for them, other than motor cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, gardening in Australia (or swimming) can be a bit of a health hazard.
      Here's a few biters I came across in the garden a couple of years ago.
      http://freefallingskyward.blogspot.com.au/2010/09/jeez-louise.html

      Delete
    2. Great phots but yeh I'd be happy not to have them in my garden!

      Delete
  3. Blimey, that's a lot of wildife!! Awesome.
    I haven't seen a swallow yet this year...I thought I saw something swallow-like today but not sure. I shall now keep a lookout :-) I won't see an otter so I won't bother looking out for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh was great. not deer, fox or badger up here though :(

      Delete