Monday, 11 March 2013

The far north; Saxa Vord...


There you go the most northerly inhabited place in the UK...


It might be a long where from most places but I'd not be too upset to live up at Skaw on Unst...


There are a lot of old RAF instalments in the area and up at the unmistakeable Saxa Vord, as well as a lot of old settlements. I wish I had more time to nose about while I was there, but I was lucky to have a lovely day so I can't complain...


Heading up to Saxa Vord radar station with Hermaness across the voe...


The station closed in 2006 but there's still warning signs and no-entry signs everywhere along with abandoned sentry posts, but other than a plastic chain across the gates it would seem it's fair game to wander about and have a nose...

History of RAF Saxa Vord is a blog about the history of the site.


The main radar dome looking in need of a lick of paint...




It's an odd place with covered walkways/tunnels connecting various buildings across the top of the hill. Gave me the creeps anyway; it would be an ace setting for some sort of viral plague scary zombie movie that's for sure!!!

Looking back down towards Burrafirth and the Loch of Cliff...


And past Hermaness to Muckle Flugga Lighthouse; just sea from here to the north pole...



4 comments:

  1. Saxa Vord was a hive of activity, it was the main name used when posting were done by the forces. There is some information on this blog...

    http://ahistoryofrafsaxavord.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/station-sick-quarters-dental-facilities.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers for that link Peat, I'll put it in the blog when I:m at a pc :-D

      Delete
  2. Ha!
    You know, it's funny - we live in such different climates,
    yet your shots 3+4 and my shots 2+3 echo one another.
    http://headinthesun.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/sunday-morning-its-bloody-hot.html
    Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So they do. Looks far too hot for me! We're lucky to hit 20c in summer and I'm suffering long before that lol!

      Delete