Tuesday, 12 February 2013

The Kame of Isbister

It was a icy calm afternoon as I headed up towards Isbister and the eastern coast of Fethaland. Listening to the radio I had my lunch at a favourite spot of Eela Water with a great view across the partly frozen loch to a snow covered Ronas Hill...



Just before I got to Isbister The Shetland Alpacas were near the road so I went to say hello...


Heading towards the east coast past the Loch of Houllsquey...


Looking south over the Head of Virdibrek with Yell across the sound...


The Kame of Isbister...


I went past here once before on a less than ideal day and wished I could get on to the promontory where there are the remains of monastic cells. Channel 4's Extreme archaeology did an episode on it with ropes rigged up for the team to get up and across the ridge. I had hoped to get up there without that and had another look at getting up there. It's not much of a scramble but with loose sea rocks it's a long way to fall. Sense took over thankfully, but I think I might have seen a gully to get up and past the step at low tide...


So near yet so far. I'm not defeated yet, my kayaking yachting mate has some climbing gear if the gully I noticed isn't an option. Not that I'll see much when I get across, just some rectangular shapes where the building were, but that's not entirely the point!


Here's another interesting structure near by. Didn't look to be anything to do with recent farming, it's sunk into the ground and had a door way. A good place for a camp...


 Looking back on the kame with the head of Virdibrek in the distance...


 And just along the coast are another few kames. This is Mid Kame and it also has a rectangular house site on the top of it and is easily accessible...


After finishing what I was up to I headed back to Isbister along the main track as the afternoon was wearing on. The sun was peeping through the clouds over the side of Ronas Hill...


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. No, I should't complain. Has its challenges too though one of which is why I was out there...

      Delete
    2. That doesn't sound too good. Didn't have anything to do with dead animals, did it?

      Delete