Thursday, 21 February 2013

Strom Ness, Binna ness and Jackville...

Earlier in the week I took a walk along Strom Ness from Whiteness down to the end of Binna Ness. It's a walk of about 8 mile there and back by hill top and coast.

Here's the first high point on The Hill of Olligarth. There's usually a great panorama up here but as you can see the early morning fog was shrouding that...


A fairly rumbly holding with some large slabs in it which are presumably part of the archaeological reaming of the area...


Looking down the ness towards my destination...


And back up towards Whiteness...


This dressed stone square 'building' is a top South Stromness, very enigmatic, but I don't know anything about it. The far side of it is very precipitous. Great view anyway...


Beautiful day...


From there I dropped down to the coast of Stromness Voe, a voe I've sailed down a few times. There are a number of old croft houses and byres in ruins along it's length. I met a couple of crofters from South Whiteness near here. They were across in their dinghy to check on the condition of their hill-sheep  I think we both surprised each other as we appeared out of the mist in what is a pretty inaccessible spot.

This is the timber rib off an old boat, an odd sight in the fog...


Approaching the narrows at Jackville. The walk along the coast here is pretty ankle breaking along narrow sheep gaets on steep banks. I was glad of some flat ground!


Looking over to South Whiteness from Jackville...


Jackville. What a place to live! It's not lived in now, but boy if Beren didn't have to get to school and us to work, it'd be the place for me!



Nearly at the end of Binna Ness. North Havra is the island on the right where I lunched on my kayak sail from Kalliness to Scalloway some time back...


North Havra...


End of the road and a meeting with the crofters again...


I've got to admit I was pretty tired by the time I'd walked back to Whiteness, but it was a useful trip and on a perfect day. We're lucky to get such good days in summer never mind mid-February.

3 comments:

  1. Nice walk out Ken, well savoured and enjoyed by me, though my titanium knee doesn't permit me such indulgences these days, but I did enjoy yours from the pics, for which you have a fellsman's eye I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers for that. Pity about you knee, I had an op on mine a couple of years back, but no replacement, certainly felt it after walking along the steep banks

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete