Thursday, 7 February 2013

A few views of Whalsay

Whalsay's not some where I've been very often, but it's got plenty to explore and there are some great views around the coast and from the coast.

Here's the view of Out Skerries from Challister Ness on the northern coast. You could clearly see the lighthouse there and the snow filled skies...


 There were plenty of shags along the coast, looking more active than I've seen them of late...



And as ever the odd dead thing...


Looking across Vats-Houll Voe to Challister...


 And in the distance was a snow shrouded Ronas Hill...


I also saw my first Water Rail on Shetland. I'm sure they're not that uncommon, but a first for me here...


Down on the south coast there's a nice walk near Clate too.  There's also an old dump in one of the geos, but thankfully the sea's not getting filled with old cars any more.

Here's the view looking out from The Smoog towards Bressay and Noss...


As you can see there's been a few passing snow showers...


And looking along the coast towards Clett Head...


There was a sighting of two humpback whales off the Skaw yesterday, I'd heard nothing more of them today, but it'll be a good place to explore on another visit.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoying your end of the world from my end of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Been to your end of the world once, well Melbourne, for a week on a fact finding thing for teaching. Got family just moved to some big mining settlement in Queensland.good luck with your paddling and avoid the crocs!

      Delete