Saturday, 12 January 2013

Scalloway Fire Festival

Last night was Scalloway Fire Festival, the first of this years Up Helly Aas. It was a great night and though not feeling too great I couldn't miss the procession and burning of the galley, Fyeal...


Peter trait of DITT was the Guiser Jarl Bodvar Bjarki.






Three cheers for the Guiser Jarl...




There was a fair breeze and once the torches started flying so did the sparks, one going down Beren's top giving a nasty little burn. It didn't bother him too much, may be an Up Helly Aa right of passage for him?!



One thing I loved about this galley, Fyeal, was the blue glowing eye. It gave her a really sinister look and was still visible as the galley went out into the marina a flame...




All too soon she was gone and so the crowds dispersed to party or visit with friends for a cuppa tea and a bannock...


I enjoyed the beautiful cold and pretty clear evening, but my cough didn't so it was a rough night and a now a lazy day today.

Scroll down here for dates of the rest of the Up Helly Aas

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for all photoes from a place I'm dreaming of. I was lucky to find you, have enjoyed a lot of your photoes and comments. We have been many places in GreatBritain and Scotland and Ireland, and I would once like to come to Shetland, but I need to win in the Lottery !!! In the meantime I will please follow you and your family. thank you . Greetings from Norway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bjorg and thanks for you comments, sorry I can't make the'o' in your name as it should be. It's great to hear you enjoy my blog and photos. I'd love to get to Norway too but like you I need a lottery win! Hopefully one day, the trekking huts you have over there look ace.

      Delete
  2. Good to see your pictures.

    Best wishes
    Guizer Jarl Bodvar Bjarki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you and your squad had a fine night and a good year as Jarl

      Delete