Monday, 28 January 2013

Heylor, Ronas Voe...

It's been a bit of a rough day today with not the best forecast for Up Helly Aa tomorrow.  It did clear up for a few spells and I took this panorama of Ronas Voe from 'the blade' at Heylor after my lunch...


There was a Haaf Station here for herring fishing with remains of buildings, winches and this stone pier remaining...


I've kayaked and rowed out of here in the past and explored the caves and coves further along, but never made it from here round to Lang Ayre. The cliffs opposite the pier also have some climbs on them, though you'd need a boat to get across or have along walk round to them. My father-in-law kayaked over there a couple of years back to climb, but after all the effort to get there the midgies beat him off!

Anyway tomorrow is a big day. Not only Up Helly Aa, which you can watch from 7pm streamed live via Promote Shetland

The bigger event (yes even than UHA) is that my kayak buddy has got himself a yacht! He officially owns it from tomorrow dinner time, so we are meeting up to give it a clear out and start to get her shipshape for some fun this coming year. I'll not say more now, but it is a boat with a history and I'm sure I'll tell more once we get on top of her...

No comments:

Post a Comment